If you are a Mac lover (which you probably are given you are reading this article), and you are looking for a good supplement for your Mac gadgets, then you should consider getting your hands on a Mac Time Capsule.
Yep. You read that right. You can get a Time Capsule from Apple! No, this is not a future thingamajig. It is a wireless router and an external hard drive all in one.
If you are just starting to build your Mac computer area and you have yet to buy a wireless router and an external hard drive, then this is a really great option for you. Care to know why? Then go ahead and keep on reading.
Let me go ahead and tell you all about the Mac Time Capsule and you will absolutely love it just as much as I do. For convenience’s sake, I will show you a list of the features that it has, as well as the pros and cons.
- Functions as a wireless router and an external hard drive.
- Supports Time Machine to back up your Mac.
- The wireless router function can support up to 50 devices.
- Supports Guest Networking.
- Supports Dual band speeds.
- Can connect wirelessly to printers.
- Has 3 Ethernet ports.
- Has 1 USB 2.0 port.
- It is offered at 2TB and 3TB.
- It is offered for $299 for 2TB and $499 for 3TB.
As you can see, the Time Capsule does have a lot of things to offer you if you opt to add it to your Mac collection. To help you in deciding whether or not this device is for you, let me point out some of the pros and cons that it has.
- It offers 2 functions in 1 compact device.
- It is very easy and intuitive to set up and use.
- It syncs and works perfectly with your other Mac devices.
- The Guest Networking capability enables safe and secure sharing.
- Works at Dual band for best speeds.
- It is quite on the pricey side considering the functions and storage capacity that it has.
- There is no web interface to allow more in depth control of the router functions such as Quality of Service options.
- There are quite a few ports (only 3 Ethernet and 1 USB port).
- The hard drive can be limited and is not user replaceable as well.
In my opinion, this is a really nifty and convenient gadget to have, only if you do not yet own a router and or an external hard drive already. This is because it is a 2 in 1 kind of device and it is the kind of gadget that is best for just starting out.
However, if budget will be affecting your decision heavily, you may be better off looking for another device to suit your needs.
Again, I want to point out that this is a really great device, but heavily depends on your needs at the moment.
Hmm.. So, should you or should you not buy this device?