Migration Assistant is a nifty feature that allows you to transfer the inner working of your old Mac to your new Mac. Before using Migration Assistant, make sure you have finished preparing your Macs as described here (insert link of other article).
There are two main ways to run Migration Assistant. The first one is via a Thunderbolt / Firewire connection which most Macs have and the other one is via an Ethernet Port or Wi-Fi. The first option is much faster although the second one has lesser compatibility issues especially if the Macs are years apart in age.
Here are the steps for using Migration Assistant with a Thunderbolt / Firewire connection:
1. Connect both computers via Thunderbolt or Firewire.
2. Hold the “T” key while restarting the old Mac.
3. Launch Migration Assistant in the new Mac from the Applications folder.
4. Choose the first migration method: FROM another Mac.
5. Input your system password and click OK.
6. Choose the second migration option: From a Time Machine Backup or Another Disk.
7. Select the hard drive label of the old Mac. 8. You will be prompted for what to transfer: Users, Applications, Settings and Other files and folders. You can expand these selections further. Select those you want to transfer and select the items that you don’t want to transfer.
9. Click Continue for Migration Assistant to begin.
Here are the steps for using Migration Assistant with an Ethernet or Wi-Fi connection:
1. Connect both Macs using the Ethernet ports of through the same wireless connection.
2. Launch Migration Assistant in the new Mac from the Applications folder.
3. Choose the first migration method: FROM another Mac.
4. Input your system password and click OK.
5. Choose the first migration option: From another Mac or PC.
6. It will do a search for other computers.
7. Select the second migration option: TO another Mac.
8. Input your admin password and close all existing applications on the new Mac.
9. Pair the two computers by confirming the identical passcodes.
10. Close all applications on the old Mac.
11. Select which items to migrate and wait for it to begin.